In the second episode of Idol Memories, American Idol Executive Producer, Nigel Lythgoe, reveals the truth about American Idol’s Hollywood auditions (a fan favorite) from where they took place to the reason behind making contestants stay up all night to learn a new song. Nigel goes on to reflect on the success of the reality TV show Popstars and how its success is what led to the creation of Pop Idol and American Idol. Plus, it earned Nigel the nickname of “Nasty Nigel.”
On this episode of Idol Memories, Nigel Lythgoe covers:
- Hollywood Auditions (in Pasadena)
- Depriving contestants of sleep to see if they could handle the competition
- The catalyst for Pop Idol and American Idol: Popstars
- What made Popstars such a huge success
- Why viewers love the auditions so much
- How Nigel became “Nasty Nigel” to UK audiences
And much more!
ABOUT THIS EPISODE’S GUESTS:
Simon Lythgoe, host Nigel Lythgoe’s son, is a television producer known for Popstars, American Idol, Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings, and So You Think You Can Dance.