In this episode of Idol Memories, American Idol Executive Producer, Nigel Lythgoe, reads press reviews of American Idol that were published during the first season and they might surprise you. Then we get right into the Wild Card round, the only elimination decision not made by America, where the judges decide which contestant will advance to the Top 10! Nigel is joined by Season One runner-up, Justin Guarini, who reveals he was offered a role in The Lion King on Broadway during the filming of American Idol that he turned down. Plus, the moment Justin realized how big of a hit the show had become!
On this episode of Idol Memories, Nigel Lythgoe covers:
- Press reviews of American Idol’s first season – the good and bad
- Wild Card performances
- The judges’ challenge to pick the perfect Wild Card contestant to advance
- Justin Guarini’s decision between continuing to compete on American Idol or performing on Broadway
- The moment Justin realized how huge the show had become
- The official Top 10 of Season One